Sunday, August 9, 2009

Great Rock


When I first heard these guys on Letterman

I was really blown away.

I couldn't wait to get my hands on their recording.





Then,

from the first strum,

to the last beautifully harmonized vocal,

I was hooked.




These five guys:

  • Robin Pecknold - lead vocals, guitar
  • Skyler Skjelset - lead guitar
  • Christian Wargo - bass, guitar, vocals
  • Casey Wescott - keyboards, vocals
  • Josh Tillman - drums, vocals, arrangements

took me back to the innocence and idealism

of the late 60s and early 70s

with sounds that reminded particularly

of Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young.

At times singer Robin Pecknold also sounds a bit like

Jon Anderson of Yes.


This is a fine recording that is not to be missed.




5 comments:

  1. This was fun!! The harmony on this second piece was fabulous. Thanks for the introduction, David. I love these guys!

    (funny name...all that comes to mind is the medical kind of Fleet...teehee)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I added them to my 'look for..' list..

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you like them. I think they are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scarlet,

    Thanks for your witty comment about Fleet Foxes & Frogs Legs. I don't know what happened to it. Somehow it vanished into the ether.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This group is outstanding. They have a sound that is instantly engaging.

    ReplyDelete