Monday, May 2, 2011

Old Friends, New Friends - Well Kept Secret



Here again we find Norma singing standards we know and love. Music here by Ellington, Kern, Rogers and Hart... BUT do not miss "The Peacocks!" " A Timeless Place" is Norma's version of "The Peacocks." A piece written by her pianist on this date, the distinguished Jimmy Rowles. A piece I first heard years ago when I first discovered the Bill Evans recording "You Must Believe in Spring." Bill Evans is smiling somewhere. And I think Billy Strayhorn would be happy with the performance here of "A Flower is a Lovesome Thing." Nice work if you can get it.




Norma Winstone




2 comments:

  1. I must go find her on YouTube. Thanks for your fun comment regarding Elspeth. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tess,

    Yes you must! Norma is wonderful as I've stated so many times before. And your gal Elspeth... a riot! The apple doesn't fall far...

    Best,

    David

    ReplyDelete