Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Tribute to Joe Farrell who would've been 71 today.



Many, many years ago... or once upon a time if you prefer, I was a wee lad. And I ventured forth to visit my dear brother Aire in Jackson Hole Wyoming. That lovely summer, in this unlikely place I stumbled upon this wonderful record with it's colorful jacket. When I played it I was absolutely taken with it. The beauty, the impressions that came from "Song of Wind" and "Molten Glass." The hip late night groove of "Follow Your Heart." Hearing this I was forever changed. I'd grown up, to the age of about 12 at this point, having been turned on to jazz by my Uncle Alan who used to hang out at Birdland and other New York City haunts. He'd played a lot of great stuff for me when I was little. But this Joe Farrell Quartet recording propelled me even further into the world of music. I have become more and more involved with music ever since, and this recording was of the greatest importance. I love this recording. I listened to it the other day as I took a stroll out in the rather heavy rain. It hasn't changed. It is still one of my favorite things. I recommend it to all. Joe Farrell and these Miles Davis graduates: Chick Corea, Dave Holland, Jack DeJohnette and John McLaughlin created something very special here.


Joe Farrell passed away January 6, 1986 at 48 years young. He recorded many fine discs and performed as a sideman on many others. In addition to The Joe Farrell Quartet album reviewed above, I am awfully fond of Outback, and Moon Germs.



No comments:

Post a Comment