Monday, September 6, 2010

Scents and Impressions



I walked down the stairs the other day 

and thought I smelled Jordan Almonds

which for some reason 

reminded me of my Mother. 




Driving down the street yesterday 

suddenly I smelled Licorice. 

Driving back again later

I smelled the Licorice again.

In the same place.




In Jo Nesbo's 

The Redeemer

the bad guy takes 

"a sip of the whiskey.

It tasted of hospital and ashes."




Through my closed apartment door

I thought I heard 

a Gamelan Orchestra.


It's really not surprising when you think about it.

 It was 

Ivan Morevac 

performing 

Debussy's 

Cloches a travers les feuilles.

6 comments:

  1. Hi David,
    oh i love licorice...could eat some non stop!
    thank you so much for kind comment...you know sometimes i don't know any more if what i do is good or crap ! anyway i'll let you know how it'll go...
    xoxo
    Lala

    ps : yes, i'll drop by at Ladurée for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love a hand full of Jordan almonds about now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lala,

    I had the best licorice ever in Helsinki at the Iittala store on the Esplanade. At the check out counter they had a platter with pappardelle like soft ribbons of salted licorice that was out of this world! Worth the trip!

    As to you my dear Lala... you ooze style, aesthetics, and beauty. With great knowledge backing it all up. Have a great time in Paris.

    David

    ReplyDelete
  4. Willow,

    But why did it remind me of Mom? Perhaps because when I was little my parents would bring them to the movies? Because they were pastel, and softly perfumed?

    David

    ReplyDelete
  5. David -- I think it's wonderful to be so sensitive to smell, and to be able to conjure up a memory or event instantly upon smelling something. Can you imagine not being able to smell? No wonder I've always been so enamored with fragrance; there are seemingly no bounds to what the perfumers manage to evoke with their creations.
    All the best,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Michael!

    Thanks for stopping by! Scent surely conjures up amazing associations and memories. Doing with out it would be dreadful. Imagine the effect on our appreciation of cuisine! As to perfumers etc... Annick Goutal continues to come up with wonderful creations.

    Best,

    David

    ReplyDelete